Each day we have new opportunities to praise our God, each hour we new opportunities to help our neighbor and each minute we have opportunities to choose what is right. But all too often we let these opportunities pass us by. We fill our lives with things of this world, things that really don’t matter, but we use them to distract us from what really does matter.
Case in point, take the election coming up, we in America have the freedom to vote, to choose our leaders, yet many Americans do not, they choose not to exercise their freedom. They allow distractions from the world keep them from performing an act that many in the world would die for, yet many waste the power.
Case in point, take sports, many people will forgo church service for a sporting event. Yes, I agree sports are a very important activity providing many benefits to our society. But church is also an important activity; Praising God should be paramount in list of activities we need to accomplish each and every day.
Case in point, take faith formation, I see this all too often, parents sign up their child for faith formation classes with the expectation that they will receive whatever sacrament is offered, without effort on their part or their child’s. They drop them off, as long as there is no sporting activity to attend and the mom or dad feel like it. The child arrives, maybe 15 minutes late because they were watching TV or playing a video game, and they didn’t want to miss any of it. In class they behave, but none of the work was done, and no effort put in to the conversation in class. Yet they feel they have done their part.
We waste opportunities daily, all of us do and all of us need to learn how not to do so. I wish I had the answer, but I do not, rather I am just stating what I see.
The answer is in each of us, we each know what takes president in our lives, we each know how our priorities are set, is it football or Church, is it 2 hour babysitting or faith formation? Questions we need to ask ourselves each and every day. Reminders we need to write in our planners, and set up for automatic email deliveries.
Ways to help you remember that opportunities are always presented to you, if you choose to use them is up to you:
1. Place a task in your planer to pray each day at the same time, asking God to open your eyes to the opportunities to praise him.
2. Set up your email (or find a reminder service on line for free) to automatically email you daily with a reminder to praise God
3. Subscribe to a daily bible passage email or the daily readings from the Church.
5. Read this blog or other catholic blogs daily, set up a RSS feed so you always get the latest postings on your home page
6. Read a daily devotional
7. Read a bible passage a day, download a roadmap on how to read the bible in one year or you can purchase a one year bible.
8. Journal daily, start a blog or do it the old fashion way, on paper
9. Make it a point to look up service opportunities in your area and send encouraging emails daily
10. If you can, attend daily mass, what better way to praise God then to receive his son daily.
All of the above suggestions take time and effort, but in the end God will bless you, and you will have more energy and a clearer mind.
Add to my list; post your ideas on how we can remind ourselves daily of the opportunities God has given us, each and every day to praise him. Share your personal examples of opportunities lost or opportunities found.
Make this day the first day of new opportunities!